Tuesday, April 6, 2010

E is for Excitement and Evolution

Sorry this post is so late coming in today, but you'll understand why in a minute.

Today was the BIG GARDEN DAY!

Yes! The day I've been waiting for finally came!

Today dawned clear and sunny around 78 degrees...I strolled down to the post office to check the mail while waiting for my in-laws to arrive.

That's the post office to the right, with the van out front. 

This is a church that sits on the corner of my neighborhood. Pretty, huh?
These flowers were on the church's steps. Pretty! I want some!


So the in-laws finally arrived around 10:45, and we got to work right away. First, let me show you want we were dealing with:

Before
Before. Hairy Scary!!


And then, the evolution began. By noon, it was about 88 degrees...

E cutting some landscaping timbers. He and his dad built brand new beds. 

Ooh, pretty!

Lovely, huh?


While E and his dad built the beds, my mother-in-law and I went to the store and got the other little plants I wanted, mostly veggies and herbs. E's parents brought me a bunch of stuff already, like day lillies, ginger lily, a gardenia, creeping jenny and ice plant, among others (whose names I can't remember). 

The finished product:

Please grow up and be tasty! 


Big difference, huh? 

BEFORE


AFTER



It was hot, but we did it! And it turned out amazing! Quite the evolution, eh? 
My sunscreening almost worked, but I missed two odd-shaped spots behind my arms. Not bad, not bad! 



Tomorrow: F

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Girl you and your family (in-laws) worked your butts off! That is fantastic! What a huge difference! Tis the season for sure and what a gorgeous day to do so!!!

Your town is the cutest!!!

Lola Sharp said...

What wonderful in-laws! They arrived with plants and ready to work. That alone is awesome.
The after shot is yummy!!! Vast improvement.

Yeah, even up here in NJ, it was in the high 80's, and they're calling for 90 tomorrow. I won't complain, 'cause I loves me some sunshine.

But husband is a little bit miffed that I turned on the air-conditioning today! ;o)

I look forward to the growing stages photos, Summer.

I always love your little photo diaries. Even that church really is cute. :)

~Lola

Unknown said...

Ooh, very nice. I want one :D

Mel Chesley said...

Awesome! I can't wait to start working on my own little garden. :D

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Betteer late than never,

Wonderful blog and pictures to match, well done on a good days work and an excellent blog.

Yvonne.

Jamie Gibbs said...

It looks awesome, and it's a hell of a difference to what you had, I love it :D I tried to grow herbs and that sometime last year but it didn't work out (I have a knack of killing most plant life I come into contact with :P) Looking forward to seeing how they grow!

Guinevere said...

Beautiful! I am soo jealous... we're working on gardening space right now, but our front yard is a postage stamp and our backyard is all shade, so it's tough! I love your setup.

DL Hammons said...

WOW!! It's like Extreme Makeover - Landscape Edition! That is very nicely done and I can't say enough about your in-laws pitching in to do that with you. My in-laws are the same sorts...name the project and they're in!

Kimberly Franklin said...

The pictures are so pretty. And now, I want a garden. Haha. Thanks a lot Summer!! ;)

Happy Wednesday!

Sarah Ahiers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Ahiers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrie said...

Wow! What a wonderful change! It really frames your porch area nicely. :)

Hannah said...

Okay let's try this again...blogger sucks ace this morning.

Show us the fruits (or veggies) of you labor soon!

I wish I could grow my own veggies but alas, no garden. Soon though. Soon.

Sarah Ahiers said...

please ignore all the deleted comments - 2 of them are mine because Blogger is being a capital ASS today.

Bish Denham said...

Wonderful! Yesterday was a big weeding day for me, and pluggin an area in the front of our house with sedum. It was a good day, all the way around.

Shelley Sly said...

Yay! Very pretty and exciting! Go you and your family! :D

Ella said...

Lucky to have in-laws like that and they bring plants! It looks great; I hope all your herbal n' veggie children, do you proud!

Melissa Hurst said...

You're so lucky to have all of that help with your garden. When I mention planting flowers, everyone hides from me:)

By the way, I didn't realize you were a fellow Georgia gal! That's awesome!

Kirsten Lesko said...

Big difference!

Your town looks really cute.

Raquel Byrnes said...

All the hard work paid off...it looks wonderful.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Quite a change! You guys could be the next Ground Force.

Tahereh said...

WOW.

you are officially amazing.

i am afraid of the outdoors and its multi-legged insects. GREAT WORK!!

<3333

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful. Great job! I hope you're able to grow pretty flowers like those on the church's steps, in addition to your veggies.