Sadly, we lost both the squash and zucchini to squash-borers. We were quite upset.
Tomato hornworms got ahold of the cherry tomato plant, but we spotted and removed them before they could completely kill it.
The weather has been wonky this summer; all of June was rainy, it seems like, and for the last 3-4 weeks, it's been dry as a bone. Blossom end-rot has not been our friend.
Now that pretty much everything has come and gone, Evan and I have made some plans as far as how we want to rearrange the beds this fall. And even though it goes against all the gardening rules, we bought some more plants last Sunday (the 4th) and put them in.
Stargazer lilies. They smelled so good...but only lasted for about a week.
Cosmos! They're so happy looking. Really glad these seeds panned out--they were the only ones!
Took out one of the lychnis and put in this cone flower instead.
The part-sun bed, or as I like to think of it, the Frankenstein bed. This poor thing's been though all kinds of work. Right now, we're letting the elephant ears take over the far left side. The gardenia is nice and revived, we moved to the meadow sage to the center, and planted garden phlox on each end (the pink flowers). Some mounding perennials in the middle (sandwort). Once fall comes, we'll dig up the dwarf calla lilies and put them over here.
Display by the door.
It was really bright when I took this, but the roma tomato plant is finally perking back up a bit. It's producing fairly well, and the fruit tastes great.
These are the zinnias that I won in Lola's wolfpack contest! They were an extra prize. :-)
This one is even prettier now--these pictures are from the 4th. Two blossoms, and they're fully opened.
The third set of seeds that I planted got a nasty bug attack, but they're actually recovering from it quite nicely and should be blooming soon.
Well, now that you've looked at my pretty garden, I guess I can tell you the other thing:
I finished my novel!